Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Twitter For Educators


What did I learn from using Twitter?
     What I learned most from participating in Twitter was how quickly information and resources can be gained as your PLN continues to grow.  I found the more people that were connected to my profession and were concerned with the same issues triggered more opportunities for followers and the sharing of information.  The sense of community and the importance of learning from others became contagious.  There were times I had information overloaded because of the overwhelming amount of material that was generated daily.  Each day I felt I was missing something important and could not keep up with all the awesome opportunities that could be applied to my classroom.  I finally accepted that as long as I was able to learn something new each day and incorporate that new information it made me a better educator.
Who was the most interesting person that I followed?
     Mrrobbo (@mrrobbo) is the most interesting person that Im following at this time.  His focus is on developing technologies for improving student outcomes in physical education.  Mr. Robbo has developed a physical education blog called The PE Geek that consists of technology applications and ideas for implementation into the physical education classroom. One application I can apply to my physical education class is a web app. builder.  Its a free web tool that walks you through the process of developing web-based applications that can be run on any digital device.  This technology offers me the opportunity to share information with the families at my school and to advertise my program.

Will I continue to use Twitter in the future?
     The benefits of Twitter from a professional perspective are priceless.  In the 4 weeks of building my personal learning network I have established resources that have already benefited me as well as the students I teach.  I will not only continue to use Twitter, but I will continue to build my PLN and grow as a teacher.  The collaboration between like- minded individuals encourages learning and the development of best practices among professional educators.  It has changed the way I teach, and has increased the enthusiasm I have for teaching.

1 comment:

  1. Love your post!!! WOW! You hit it right on when you said, "The sense of community and the importance of learning from others became contagious." Twitter is the best PD that is out there! You are right, the more you contribute, the more you find people following you and your network grows! I am excited you plan to keep using Twitter! Glad you are part of my PLN!

    ReplyDelete